Is This Offensive?

A lot's been made in the media of the latest Vogue cover featuring Gisele and basketball star LeBron James, photographed by Annie Leibovitz.

Every April, Vogue releases the 'Shape' issue, which celebrates all sizes (er, try to restrain your laughter) and this year's cover is said to showcase athleticism. But that's not what everyone sees. As MSNBC said,

Others...see it as the embodiment of racial and sexual stereotypes, that it's a depiction of an aggressive, black man in a King Kong-like pose, embracing a white woman, a Fay Wray-like "damsel in distress."

What do you think? Is this cover offensive or are some people too sensitive?

2 comments:

Naomi said...

That is so bizarre. I am moderately annoyed to see a sports figure on Vogue, just because I prefer models on the cover of fashion mags, but to make a racial issue out of it is ridiculous.

kpriss said...

I wouldn't go for racial, but unfitted, yes. It's not very clear from the cover what the intentions of the editorial would be. In fact, what's all about in this issue? (I make it a policy not to buy magazines...I rather go on the internet and find all I need)