My Josie Natori Moment

I love nothing more than a designer that lives their own design philosophy and I can think of no one that epitomizes that more than the graceful and elegant Josie Natori.

An accomplished business woman and concert pianist (!) prior to launching her fashion career, Josie is of course best known as the creator of her eponymous line of ready to wear, home goods and decadent lingerie and sleepwear.

But Josie has more design up her sleeves and to fete the launch of her latest collection, Natori Essentials, I was invited to her stunning Upper East Side apartment (HELLO, REAL ESTATE ENVY!) last week.

Over decadent champagne and delicious dim sum, Josie herself walked an intimate group of online editors through the line and I found myself dying over the sleek, chic and eminently wearable separates (primarily in black). In particular, the voluminous cocoon cardigan as well as a yummy stretch lace pencil skirt (va-va-va-voom!) spoke to me.

The biggest treat of the evening (okay, second only to a private piano performance) was definitely a visit to Josie's closet. The size of most New York bedrooms and organized beyond belief, it was most striking due to her clearly defined style choices.

Lined with black separates and dresses (seriously, there was not another color in sight!), it's clear that Josie expresses herself through the enormous assortment of bold solid and printed scarves scarves, bejeweled shoes of varying heights and structured bags in a myriad of skins and hues. While I still need a bit more variety in my own closet, I found the simplicity inspiring!

To experience Natori Essentials, take a jaunt through the gallery below.

(Above, left: Me, looking pale, with Josie Natori herself.)

 

0 comments: