(Five) Wholly Unglamorous Products I'd Rather Not Live Without



There are a LOT of beauty products that I love for purely superficial reasons - they smell amazing, they're packaged beautifully, they're from an exotic and foreign land...you get the idea. I'm a shallow girl, what can I say (for more on those, follow my Get Glam board on Pinterest)? But on the other end of the spectrum (yes, there is another end of the spectrum), there are those products that I love but talk about rarely, and generally in hushed tones - the unglamorous ones, the ones who get some of the most important beauty business done.  Five of the essentials:

  • Sally Hansen's line of nail care products are really, truly among the best out there - at any price point. The fact that they're affordable is just a bonus. The Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat ($5.99) is among my at-home mani essentials - in fact, I just layered it over the also inpenetrable French Lilac from JinSoon, and accordingly, I expect my manicure to last until the end of time.
  • I really don't like to skimp on my body moisturizer, but some tubs are priced so extravantly, I feel as if I must. Not the case with the newly reformulated Smoothing Body Lotion with Cocoa and Shea Butters ($2.99) by Suave - this giant pump bottle really delivers on the moisturization, even through the miserably cold weather we've been having in New York, and it smells deliciously rich to boot.
  • I was recently scolded by my waxer for not being dilgent enough about ingrown hair prevention. Thankfully, it was that week exactly that the new Medicated After Shave Spray ($7.99) by Bikini Zone crossed my desk.  This unique formula includes a topical analgesic that penetrates skin to stop irritation, pain and redness. Use after almost any kind of hair removal - shaving, waxing or depilatory - to avoid pesky and unsightly ingrowns. The spray is fast-drying and simple to use - just a spritz out of the shower and you're good to go.
  • Facial wipes are an absolute ESSENTIAL in my book as I'm often too tired or (more accurately) too lazy to be as diligent as I should be in my evening skincare routine. Simple's are among the, well, simplest, and thereby best. At just $5.69 for a pack of 25, you can choose from a complete range - Classic, Radiance, Exfoliating or my pick, Oil Balancing, which boasts Glycerin and Zinc as well as anti-inflammatory natural lipid Phytosphingosine.
  • Perhaps it's because Mercury is currently in retrograde, but these days, I'm experiencing a previously unfamiliar level of STRESS. Neat, right? The peeps at Secret came to the rescue, though, with their new Clinical Strength Stress Response ($7.99). Smelling delightfully of citrus, this solid anti-perspirant and deo helps protect you (and your neighbors!) from stress sweat-induced odor and wetness. You can use it at any time, but consider this to be a pre-date, pre-interview and pre-presentation essential.

What wholly unglam products do you rely on?

0 comments: