Creating a Capsule Jewelry Wardrobe: Hippie Silver


Jewelry is a grand love of mine (perhaps the longest lasting love of my life, in fact) but at today's NXNE brunch, I learned that not all of my friends can relate - and one in particular asked for some guidance on how to best create a capsule wardrobe of "essentials". Now the tricky thing about jewelry and the idea of essentials is that, essentially, there's no such thing. I mean, I can sing the praises of classics like a monogram pendant, hoop earrings, diamond studs or a tank watch - but the reality is that those items, classic as they may be, really don't speak to every woman's style - in fact, I only own two of the four and wear those rarely.  

A hippie at heart, my friend Lisa needs jewelry that she can wear both for to work and to play - and silver is her preferred metal.  Above, my picks for a capsule wardrobe of jewelry to get her started (top left, clockwise):

  • BaubleBar sets a new gold standard for affordable jewelry and with their mix of designers and styles, anyone is sure to find a cart full of baubles to love. For Lisa, I liked the Silver Fringe Bib Necklace ($32) - it's simple enough to not overwhelm her small frame, but also bold enough to make a statement.
  • It's entirely possible that I'm projecting here (I loooove an evil eye!), but I also think that the Voodoo Hindsight Duo ($26) could be perfect for Lisa's mildly Stevie Nicks meets Janis Joplin vibe. These beaded bracelets are inexpensive, and can be worn solo or layered with a stack of contrasting bangles.
  • As the child of Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet, Zoe Kravitz is rock royalty - and though she's young, we could all learn a little something from her effortlessly bohemian vibe (seriously, I was wowed by her inherent chicness when we met years ago). This Spring, she's collaborated with Swarovski Crystallized on a capsule collection of jewelry. It's all Native American-inspired - think silver and turquoise (of course) - and thereby perfect for the free spirit. There's a lot to love here, but the Sierra Light Necklace ($116) is seasonless and will work easily as well layered or solo.
  • While I love delicate jewelry, I do think it's important to make a statement at times. The Ainsley Bracelet from Stella & Dot is perf for such occasions - this wide, glittering bracelet (it stretches to fit anyone) boasts 500 crystals. For $98, it's a steal. 
  • It's hard to identify just one style of earring that every woman MUST own. In my book, quirky studs are a go-to daily, though I'd CERTAINLY never want to live without a sleek hoop or a glittering chandelier. The Cosima Earrings from Lia Sophia are a nice compromise - they're exotic-looking (you could tell people that you picked them up in Bali without a doubt) and cut from a chic, antique-finish silver.

0 comments: