Solutions Mode: Aveda's Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner

 



For the past six months plus, I've had some major hair 'ish happening. Namely, my hair just doesn't seem to want to hold on to color anymore. Which means that 2-3 weeks after getting my hair dyed (and keep in mind that I'm a brunette going...brunette), my roots have been fading and leaning incredibly brassy. As you can imagine, I've tried every solution imaginable - a new colorist, a new salon, a new formula, at-home color (the new Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Hair Color is actually pretty solid), less hair washing  - all to no avail. Apparently, I have a condition colorists call "hot roots" - and the causes can be myriad, including (the most likely culprit in my case) hormones.

Gross, right? Honestly, I can't even think about it without cringing. Thankfully, Aveda's come to the rescue with their Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner, color-depositing formulas that infuse brunette and black hair with cool, dark tones, diminishing pesky red tones and brassiness. Like all Aveda products, the secret's in the botanicals, in this case organically grown aloe, black tea and emollient-rich black malva that's been wild-crafted and then sustainably gathered by hand in its natural habitat. The Black Malva itself provides moisture to hair, while black tea helps intensify deep hues and purify the scalp. 

I've been rotating the Black Malva formulas in about every other day, and so far, so good - no fading, no brassiness and no grays peeking through (at least not just yet).

If you've got similar issues, or would like to experiment with a color-depositing formula in lieu of color, shop Aveda's collection online (there are formulas for blondes and redheads as well) here.

0 comments: