For the Procrastinator: Gifting Destinations that Really Deliver



While I have the majority of my holiday shopping wrapped up, there are a few lingering gifts I've yet to purchase. If you're like me, and take it down to the wire, below is a list of my favorite shopping destinations - offline and online - always guaranteed to deliver goodies perfect for gift giving:

  • MoMA Design Store: Not only do they always have exceptional holiday cards, but they also boast an assortment of design-centric gifts for almost everyone on your list. If you're shopping for me or another art lover, do consider splurging on the Damien Hirst Mixed Anamorphic Cup & Saucer Set seen above, $125.
  • The Fancy and AHAlife are two online favorites, again for high design and often unique or quirky gifts. Fancy recently introduced same day delivery in select cities, including New York, for an added flat fee of $30, while AHALife is currently offering 15% off orders with code AHA2013 and free shipping on all purchases over $100 (among my picks: this Alexandra von Furstenberg Acryclic Tray, $208-$308).
  • Amazon-owned flash sale site MyHabit truly understands your procrastination issues. Order until 2pm on 12/23 and you'll get free express shipping in time for the holiday - BOOM. Tip: Be sure to dig deeply into their Events - you'll find some exceptional designers, at at least 65% off. I've even seen favorites like Rick Owens and Loeffler Randall at 70% off or more - but I'm not shopping for me, right? Right.
  • I shop TJ Maxx and Marshall's irregularly, but when I do, I REALLY get into the thrill of discovery. The trick to shopping off-price (and also outlet, for that matter) is to let yourself be surprised - don't go in with a list or you may be disappointed. My kryptonite in particular at both TJ Maxx and Marshall's are the gourmet food departments. In fact, just this past weekend, I picked up perfect gift add-ons including gourmet hot chocolate and festive coffees. Store locators here and here.
  • Last but not least, for New Yorkers, a visit to Story is a must and yes, worth the trek to West Chelsea. Wholly unique, Story's thematic and product assorment changes completely each season, but it's always flawless. The current 'story' is 'Home for the Holidays', and honestly, what could be more perfect? Visit the store at 144 10th Ave, at 19th Street.

0 comments: