City Row, Reviewed



As any regular readers know, I loooove to dabble in group fitness classes. Switching things up helps me stay interested in working out. So, after hearing a bit of buzz on City Row, I visited the newly opened studio yesterday for my first class. 

What I found was a single, spacious studio of custom WaterRower machines, accompanied by mats. The class - mine was led by Studio Director Annie Mulgrew - alternates between intense interval rowing and mat work, including arm-specific sections using light and medium free weights (given my wrist surgery last year, I used 3 and 5 pound weights, though 5 and 8 pound seemed to be the standard among women in the class). The result is a pretty sweaty full body, yet low impact cardio workout with a focus on three key areas - #LegsCoreArms.

The promised benefits of rowing are huge - apparently, it's is among the top 5 calorie burning workouts, with 400-600 calories lost in a single 50 minute class. Like my other favorite workouts - and unlike spinning, Soulcycle and Flywheel aficionados - rowing also promises toning without the bulk.

A day after my class, I'm feeling the repurcussions from City Row most in my arms, including triceps. Keep in mind, however, that I work my legs quite regularly (via barre and ballet) - if legs aren't a regular focus for you, I'd expect some serious soreness in the 24-48 hours following your first City Row class.

You'll want to wear standard, tight fitting workout gear, including sneakers to City Row - and drink plenty of water through the class and following!

City Row is located at 80 Fifth Ave (at 14th St.). Classes are $32, with packages available, including a $90/3 class special for new clients. For more information or to book, visit cityrow.com.

0 comments: